Thursday, January 24, 2008

Craft Lesson 1

Repetition & Recognition of Sounds and Words

Resource Materials: BUZZ by Janet Wong

Discussion:
Children will often recognize words after they see it so many times in a text; such as in Janet Wong’s book BUZZ. They need to learn to begin recognize those letters and that word outside of the text they are familiar with. Repetition of a word is good when just beginning to become familiar with recognizing letters in text.


How to teach it:
I will the book BUZZ by Janet Wong and let the children become familiar with the letters in BUZZ and the word. I will let the children interact with me while I read it and let them say the BUZZ on each of the pages. I will pass out a paper with a bee on it and the word “BUZZ” at the bottom. They may color it however they want, I would just like them to make the correlation between the word that was in the text and the word that is in the handout. We will then as a class come up with our own list of things that BUZZ. We can then think of the sounds they hear in the morning, and as a class make our own list! I think the repetition will help them become familiar with the letters and the word.

1 comment:

Becca said...

I think thats a cute idea, having students share about the sounds they hear in the morning.