Sunday, April 20, 2008

Chapter 17

This chapter was amazing. I learned so much useful information for motivating students to read. This chapter dealt with everything from learning how to motivate students, organizing the classroom and creating a reading atmosphere, to finding out how to unmotivated students. One story that I found interesting was about the man whose daughter was a motivated reader but kept reading the Little House series over and over. By him telling her to choose something different it made her lose interest in reading all together. This story hit close to home for me because that is probably something I would have said if I encountered a student like that. Now I know the child will probably move on to a different title in his or her own time. We as teachers have such a difficult task to make sure that our students become motivated readers. I agree with the fact that we ourselves must be motivated readers before we can even talk about it to our students. Practice what we preach! I really enjoyed reading this chapter and found out some interesting things to do in my own classroom someday to create a great reading atmosphere.

Tunnell, Michael O. and James S. Jacobs. Children's Literature, Briefly. 4e. Upper Sadle River NJ: Pearson/Merrill Prentice Hall, 2008.

1 comment:

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

Lacee: your willingness to self-assess this way (I would have told a student to move on to another series of books but would've caused harm likely) is the stuff of real teachers. Find where we are weakest and start on a strength regimen.