Monday, March 24, 2008

Chapter 13

Tunnell, Michael O. and James S. Jacobs. Children's Literature, Briefly. 4e. Upper Sadle River NJ: Pearson/Merrill Prentice Hall, 2008.
This chapter discusses all the different types of biographies and what each kind encompasses. I liked this chapter because I learned something new and thought of innovative ways to use biographies in my classroom someday. I have to say, I was actually surprised at how many different types of biographies there were! I had no idea! I remember having to read biographies when I was in elementary school and then having to give a report of that persons life! BORING! It was always the same. I would think up something new and different to have kids enjoy reading these. I think a key factor in having kids enjoy reading biographies, is letting them choose a subject or someone that interest them. If they have to read about someone they feel no connection with or think is boring, they will end up not liking biographies! I really liked the idea of picture book biographies and exposing them to kids at a younger age. Maybe you could use them to introduce a certain topic or a certain subject!

No comments: