Monday, March 24, 2008

Stuart's Cape Craft Lesson

Pennypacker, S. Stuart's Cape. Illus. Martin Matje. New York NY: Scholastic/Orchard Books, 2002.

Discussion
I think that every once in a while it is okay to go outside the box with an assignment and let the kids have fun! Stuart's Cape is all about imagination, superheroes and letting this little boy have fun. I feel it is important for kids to have fun, even if they are in the classroom. I would use this assignment for fifth graders in an art class and then have them do some creative writing on their art project. I am hoping this stimulates their imagination and helps them be creative in their writing.

How to Teach It
I would let the class read this book together for an all class read aloud. After we finished reading I would explain to them that for this assignment they are going to let their imaginations run wild. I would supply everyone with a piece of cloth made into a cape. They are going to design their capes however they choose! They can paint it, color it, cut it and whatever else they think of. But, the design of their cape has to fit in with their writing assignment. After they design their cape they will write a description of it and what it helps them do. Their writing has to be done with correct grammer, punctuation and sentence structure. They will then wear their cape and present it to the class and turn in their writing assignment.

2 comments:

Courtney Forbess said...

I love your craft lesson. I think it is a great idea having the student's make their own capes.

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

I like the lesson as well. And that you are expecting correct grammar, punc, spelling, usage, etc., is just icing on the cake.